Are you interested in starting a business, exploring a business idea, or do you have a hobby business that you want to take to the next level?
It’s time to invest in YOU!
Activate Business is an exciting new initiative available to 15 people aged 25 years or older in the Port Pirie and surrounding areas that will assist you to create, connect and activate your own business. The program has been designed to maximise opportunities to commercialise your business idea by providing you with intensive one-on-one coaching to develop and pursue a personal plan of action; practical learning allowing you to seriously compete as you move into your own business; collaborative networks and peer mentoring opportunities with business and community leaders and; exposure within the community to kick start your new business.
We know that everyone is different, and there is no one size fits all approach to starting a new business. So, the first step is personalised, one-on-one support from an experienced business coach. This will include an individual assessment, at least 4 x 1 hour weekly coaching sessions, and the development of an individual plan. Each session is created in direct response to your experiences, objectives and talents, and will:
- Provide practical learning that will allow you to seriously compete as you move into new opportunities
- Provide suitable networking opportunities through industry contacts where relevant and appropriate that builds confidence
- Allow greater choice in what you want to learn based on individual skill gaps, talents, opportunities and future goals
- Provide modern and proven approaches to generating new opportunities in an increasingly competitive and changing environment.
There are some great new business programs already available, and through your coaching sessions you will be able to explore the best option to suit your needs. One of these options may be the ‘New Business Assistance with NEIS’ program that will be offered face-to-face by BRACE Education and Training in Port Pirie over 4 weeks. This program includes:
- BSB42618 Certificate IV in New Small Business (4-week intensive face-to-face course followed by practical application through business operation)
- Feasibility study on business viability
- Creation of a business plan with two years of projected finance
- 12 months mentoring support for businesses that are deemed viable.
We want to help you expand your networks, and connect with your customers, local businesses and community leaders. All participants in the program will have access to:
- 12-month membership to Business Port Pirie
- Connection to a local community or business leaders as a ‘peer’ mentor
- You will also have the opportunity to work with other participants on the program to organise and host a Business Port Pirie Networking Event to showcase your business concepts and network with other business and community leaders.
You will have the opportunity to access two new dedicated spaces to support new business activity within the community:
- Learning & Development Space at Uni Hub Spencer Gulf (first 3 months of the project) – providing access to training rooms, study areas and a student lounge combined with hi speed internet and computer access, making it an ideal environment to assist you with the learning and development aspects of starting a business
- Collaborative Space for New Business within the Port Pirie CBD (for 6 months of the project) – enabling you to gain exposure, trial your business, and collaborate with other new business operators. Participants that successfully pitch their business will have access to a collaborative space within the Port Pirie CBD (rent free) for up to six months. The location and set-up of the space will depend on the individual and business needs of those participating.
Who can apply?
Individuals living in Port Pirie and surrounding areas who are:
- Unemployed and registered with a jobactive, ParentsNext or Transition to Work provider, or
- Unemployed and not registered with an employment service provider
If you are working 15 hours a week or less in paid employment you may also be eligible to apply.
School students are not eligible to apply.
How much does it cost?
The great news is this program is free if you meet the eligibility and are successful in gaining a place on the program!
July 26: Applications close
July 29: Selection of Participants
August: Individual coaching and development of action plan
September 2 – 27: Delivery of the New Business Assistance with NEIS Program
September: Business Port Pirie Networking Event
October: Activation of Collaborative Space for 6 months
February: Business Port Pirie Annual Dinner
March: Showcase and Graduation
How do I apply?
If you are interested in applying, please complete either:
If you are interested in applying, please complete the online registration form
Or download the online registration form
Or collect a registration form from
Uni Hub Spencer Gulf
97 Ellen Street, Port Pirie
or from your Jobactive, ParentsNext or Transition to Work provider. Contact UniHub Spencer Gulf on 1800 549 779 if further enquiries.
This project is proudly supported by the following organisations who are committed to investing in people, ideas, creativity and locally grown start-ups: